April 29, 2012

Why Blog?



Color me stupid! This is what happens when I don't put things on my Google Calendar (and use a new email address with a faulty filter setting).

My sincerest apologies to Melanie Bowen, who tried getting my attention multiple times and was kind enough to be patient with me.

Now you all know I blog about my life and my random musings, nothing really technical or particular. I think blogging is a fantastic way to keep tabs on your own life and to keep others updated. We all want to leave our mark in the world, one way or another. Big or small, blogging about your life, your efforts, your achievements & even your failures is one way to go about it. It's a lasting account of who you are and what you've been through; something others can learn from and maybe even cherish.

Blogging also exposes you to a world of sympathizers and a network of resources that you might not otherwise have access to. You build a community with people who think like you, who disagree with you, who want to learn from you and who want to share their experiences and information with you. It's a support network, a place to get feedback, a way to get your word out, a way to get more and varied information.

There are many forums, organizations and websites that work as a virtual congregations for anything from motorcycle building to physics to health issues.

The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog is one such site that provides a platform for exactly those purposes (and others). It's good to see that people feel confident enough to speak about their struggles in a safe and comfortable environment. Without dialogue, there is never any progress. My best wishes to all the people involved with the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog.

Many people choose to create personal blogs to document their personal struggles with health issues. Alice Pyne and Criss's blogs, particular, got my attention and really touched me. They write with brutal honesty simply because it's their reality. I can only imagine the thousands of people who have been inspired and touched by their stories. The same must go for the community of people who are involved, in any capacity, with the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog.

Courtesy a Yahoo! article (for once) I came across another very compelling blog about a baby with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). I'm not one to cry too easily, but even I got choked up after reading the article. If this doesn't break your heart, I don't know what will.

Support what you believe in. Put your voice out in the world, because you never know where you will get help from or who you will end up helping. The larger the virtual world grows, the smaller our real world becomes.

Disclaimer: The views, concerns and accounts on the above sites/blogs are not my own, nor do I benefit in any way from mentioning them. These links are posted solely to spread awareness of their existence and that of the individual bloggers efforts & their stories.