December 9, 2010

be-YOU-tiful

I joined the Twitter bandwagon nearly a year ago - and it's coming as a huge shock to me that I'm 37 days away from my first TwitterVersary. One discovery led to another, until I started following ProjectBeauty.

ProjectBeauty is a phenomenal endeavor taken upon by two very sweet and passionate young ladies who believe that everyone is beautiful and that everyone should recognize this fact about themselves. 

A long time back, I'd discussed writing a post about self-image and beauty, and now I think it's high time I got around to it. I just don't know how to go about this. It's a topic that will definitely take more than one post; this is just the beginning of an exploration and understanding.

Body image is something I personally, constantly struggle with. My fat-days outweigh my thin, pretty days and it takes a toll on my self-esteem. But over the course of the past few years, I've slowly learned to accept that my size and weight are only a part of my beauty.

Today is all about image, about marketing yourself: for a job, a relationship, a brand, anything, everything. So of course, physical image plays a large role. As far as first impressions go, the visual makes an impact long before you can open your mouth to say Hi, my name is...

Physical beauty is highly subjective. For some its a size 0 waist, prominent cheek bones, bottle blond hair, and a tall stature. For others it's a "meat on the bones" figure, crazy curly hair and pinchable cheeks.

The thing we have to realize is that we are humans, not machines. We are NOT supposed to look alike and fit a certain mold. We ARE supposed to come in different shapes, sizes, colors, heigts, hair types, etc. Machines and robots off of an assembly line are supposed to be cookie-cutter perfect, each one piece matching the one before it and after it. Humans come from a rich background of history, culture and experience, and this reflects in both our personality and our appearance.

But beauty, for me, goes beyond the physical. Inner beauty plays a large hand as well; things like attitude, personality, a persons actions and inactions.

Let's take Aishwarya Rai for example. She's been touted as the world's most beautiful woman. Men and women alike are infatuated with her and consider her an ideal beauty. Her attitude and personality act like a strong repellent for me. I can't see beyond those aspects. Or, rather, those things color my view of her and I consider her more plastic and "not beautiful."  In contrast, my mom - who isn't a beauty queen - is a kind, sweet, strong and passionate person. For me, she's one of the most beautiful women ever.

That's what I've got for now...expect more in the series, because I believe this is an important topic to talk about.